Jan 11, 2010

snow, Snow, SNOW!

And lots of it!

Everyone has been saying lately that it actually doesn't snow very much in Prague usually. And by seeing how they're dealing with the snow, I'm starting to believe it. It has been snowing pretty much now stop for the last four days and has really been piling up.

In the States, I feel like cities deal with snow in one of two ways:
-If it's a city that normally gets snow, they deal with it pretty fast and clean it up so people can go about their normal business.
-Or, in states where snow is uncommon, it will snow an inch and the whole city will shut down.

So I get that it doesn't normally snow a TON in Prague, but snow is a regular occurrence and they should be prepared. But no, no, no. This is not the case.

The streets here have hardly been plowed and snow is piled high on the sidewalks. I haven't seen a single snow plow in the streets and have noticed very few people shoveling the sidewalks. There is slush everywhere, your shoes get soaked, and you really have to make an effort just to walk down the street. (On a positive note, I'm building up big calf muscles rather quickly.) And many streets really haven't been cleared at all, only from the cars driving by and pushing it around with their tires.

The worst part is the trams. The city doesn't even bother to clean the snow from their tracks. So of course, this means constant delays. A tram ride that should take 15 minutes is now turned into 30. Or sometimes, the tram just doesn't come at all. So I'm really looking forward to my tram ride I have to do tomorrow morning to one of my classes. On a good day, this particular ride takes about an hour. Ahhhhhh.... snow!

No comments: