Oct 27, 2009

But What Does It All Mean!?

In Korean:

Ne = Yes
Anio = No

In Czech:

Ano = Yes
Ne = No

You see my confusion? After a year in Korea I got the words so ingrained into my mind that I'm having a lot of trouble changing it. I usually find myself in shops saying no (Ne) but nodding my head yes. I know I'm confused and I can't imagine how the poor shop keepers feel.

Also, to indicate the number one, I am used to holding up my index finger as we do in the States. However, here, that means two. One is indicated by your thumb.

So, here I am in a shop trying to buy.... let's say, a croissant. I say "one," hold up my index finger, nod my head "yes" and say "Ne". The shop keeper just stares in udder confusion.

Who knew a simple task could be so confusing?

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Laners!!! I MISS YOU!!! I am stuck in my house with feet and feet of snow outside! lol! I love that yes and no are opposite! That makes it a little tough!