May 6, 2009

Monster Island!

We just spent a week on what must be one of the most beautiful islands in the world. Close your eyes and imagine an island paradise: soft white sand, clear blue warm water as smooth as glass and palm trees swaying in the light breeze. That place you're imagining is the Perhentian Islands off the coast of Malaysia. It is barely inhabited with just a handful of hotels on the beach and a small fishing village on another part of the island. There isn't even regular electricity: none in the day and generators power the lights and fans for a few hours at night.

As soon as we set foot on the beach all we could say was "Wow." The only way to describe this beach was perfect. So far Koh Pha Ngan was our favorite hang out beach and Koh Phi Phi was the most beautiful island with its limestone cliffs, but Palau Perhentian had by far the most beautiful beach.

However one flaw quickly became apparent in this beautiful place. This was no ordinary island, it was MONSTER Island! While Jason wandered around the beach looking for a place to stay and I waited with the bags I spotted 3 giant spiders. Now if you know me at all you know that I am absolutely terrified of spiders no matter the size. But anyone who saw these things would agree that they were monster sized. The only thing I've seen bigger are some tarantulas. These spiders ranged in size from "small" ones the size of a toddlers hand all the way to that of a hand of a big man with his fingers spread all the way out. And the thing with these spiders was that they were everywhere (except the beach, thank God). We ended up staying at a hotel set back a few hundred meters from the beach where we had to walk along a dirt trail through trees and long grass to get there. Around 15 visible spiders dotted the trail. And at night there were no lights along this path. Our first night walking home I was so scared I actually cried. I eventually got better about dealing with them because what choice do you have? Deal with the thing that terrifies you most or go home. And I wasn't leaving. The only thing that made me feel better was that they NEVER moved from the center of their webs. And the man at our hotel promised me that they were not poisonous and that people even touch them with no problems.

The other reasons I called this Monster Island was because of the 5 foot long Monitor Lizards that inhabited the place and the Mosquitoes the size of a silver dollar. The creatures were so big i was half expecting to find King Kong lurking in the bushes But despite all of the monsters it was an amazing place and we had a great time wasting our days away on the beach.

The Perhentian Islands are also renowned for their incredible diving and snorkeling. Yesterday, our last day on the island, we went out for a snorkeling trip to 3 different sites. We got to swim with -and touch- a giant sea turtle, were surrounded by dozens of fish swimming up to our masks and through our arms and legs (they kept biting me!), see beautiful coral gardens, saw sting rays and even a shark!! When they said we might see a reef shark I imagined a tiny tiger stripped shark maybe a foot and a half long. But this was a big grey shark with black tipped fin, over a meter long! Very cool to see in the wild and somehow I wasn't even scared. Even though I've been doing a lot of snorkeling and boating lately and been fine with it, this time my stomach decided I should share ALL of my breakfast with the hungry fish. Always a fun experience.

Now we are moving along to our next destination. We are currently in the middle of a 5 hour mini bus ride to the Cameron Highlands- an old British hill station filled with tea plantations, strawberry fields, butterfly farms and hiking trails. After a couple days there we'll head to the capital of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, and then fly to Bali where we'll spend the last week of our trip. I can't believe the 3 months are coming to an end so soon.

And if you're wondering when I'm going to post photos from all of these wonderful places, its going to have to wait until I get home. Internet connections are too slow, and the last time I tried to plug a camera into a computer in Thailand it put a virus on my memory card...

No comments: