Nov 5, 2008

A Great Day to Be an American

Wow, we did it!  I could not be more proud of America and proud that Barack Obama will be our next president.  I really feel that this is a great day for my country.  This is giant leap in the right direction.  Obama will be a great president and will help get our country back on track.  

Only around 50 years ago, African-Americans were fighting for equal rights.  And now we have our first African-American president.  I wonder how Martin Luther King Jr would feel on this day, to know that his "I Have a Dream" speech is being fully realized in an amazing way.  To know that his children are living in a world of more than just basic equality.  50 years.  Such a short time to achieve so much progress.
 
No matter what your politics or who you voted for, you should feel proud today.  You should feel proud that our country has overcome such huge obstacles in such a short time.  I really believe that Obama becoming president is going to open more doors for everyone and help everyone achieve their full potential more easily.  To me, this says that anyone can do what they want to do and shouldn't let social issues get in the way.  Just because it's never been done before, that is not good reason to believe that it is not possible.  Of course the obvious group that will feel most affected by a black man becoming president is African-Americans, but I truly believe that this is also bridging the way for every group that feels discrimination.  Hispanics, gays, women, etc. etc. Be proud.

And I'm also proud of our country for more than just the race issue.  Everyone will agree that the Bush years have been pretty awful.  I'm proud that we, as a country, have enough sense to realize that and make a change.  A big and powerful change.  Obama is a really strong candidate and has what it takes to help turn our country back around.  He's going into office at a very difficult time and he's surely going to face a lot of criticism. But I have HOPE and I think most of our country does as well.  

And I'm so excited that Colorado went for Obama!  How great to be from a blue state!  I just wish I could have been there to experience it.  Over here on the other side of the world, the group of teachers at my school all closely watched the election online between our classes.  We were happy we were able to watch some live coverage online, and were all thrilled when we heard the great news.  It's a great day!

No comments: