Jul 3, 2008

Quiz Night in the HBC



Random Korea Photo of the day: Beomosa Temple, Busan


We have quickly developed a weekly tradition here in Seoul.  Every Tuesday, Jason and I and a few of our coworkers head down to a local bar in our neighborhood of Haebangcheon for Quiz Night.  There are a few foreign restaurants and bars, ya know, places where you can only find a menu in English and there aren't any Koreans in sight.   Makes you feel like you're back home, or maybe England with all the Brits around.  

But back to the trivia.  We have gone to Quiz Night almost every week since we arrived, except maybe 2 or 3.  We have won the 1st place prize of a $50 bar tab twice (the most recent time being this week, thank you), and a pitcher of beer for 2nd place, once.  Some weeks we are dead last and others we are far above the rest.  It all depends on the line up for the week.  There is one team that is there every week as well, who I believe has won every week that we haven't.  I have no clue how they do it.  There have been some seemingly impossible questions.

And that brings me to why I'm writing about quiz night: the questions.  I decided that since I have learned so much random trivia since I've been here, I might as well share some of it with you nice people.  So every time I post I will try to add in a question or two from trivia.  Feel free to post the answers in the comments if you know them.  But no Googling the questions.  Cheaters.  

  • What was Ozzy Osborne wearing when he was arrested for peeing on the Alamo?
  • How many people are on a Hurling team (and yes, I meant hurling with an 'H', not curling)?
  • What title were Courtney Love's diaries published under? 
  • What is a device for measuring latitude called?
  • Who has scored the most goals in the history of the Premier League, and how many?
  • Who is the president of South Africa?
Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head from the last couple weeks.  Have fun, and I'll come up with more later.  

Hope everyone enjoys the 4th of July weekend, I'm sad I won't get to participate in any good ol' USA celebrations for the 2nd year in a row.  We live right next to the US army base, so any bars that are having parties for the 4th will be packed with drunken GI's.  No thanks.  Also, Jason and I are taking a trip to the countryside this weekend.  His cousin's wife is from Korea, and they are currently here visiting her family.  So we're going to escape from the big city life to her small hometown for a night.  

More to come...

No comments: